COME LET US LIVE WITH OUR INNER CHILDREN is a collaborative interactive sculpture created by artists Feyishara Adelekan, Rebecca Bersohn, Erica Garber, Casey Glover, Catharine Maloney, Adena Stevens and Liz Zacharia. The title is an adaptation of an original mistranslation of Froebel's philosophy. The following visual diary is the result of the artists' research of Frederick Froebel, the inventor of Kindergarten, and his 20 gifts that combine learning, art and play. As they have, the artists invite the viewers to connect with their own INNER children through play.

Friday, November 19, 2010

GIFT #10




When researching Froebel's 10th Gift, drawing, I discovered similar images from parquetry only these images were drawn on graph paper and were described as a tool to develop vocational skills. Children would fill in the sections of graph paper in combination to form images. In my experience with Froebel, I found that at times I grew frustrated with the rigidness of some of the tasks as wondered what effect that might have on creativity. So for this I piece I wanted to take an image that already existed that I had no creative impulses over and translate in on to graph paper with filled in sections. In my research I found myself drawn to portraits Froebel. I thought 'what better way to convey Froebel, than with a portrait of him drawn in his own vernacular.' This was no easy task as I had to reduce complex curvilinear parts into smaller rectilinear parts and I found myself failing to complete the task to perfection. However, in its whole I feel that this is a portrait Froebel would have appreciated. Rebecca Bersohn's Gift 10, "Froebelgraph."


- Rebecca

No comments:

Post a Comment